Posted by: Pete Roussel on December 7, 2012
Butch Jones was introduced on Friday afternoon as the head coach at the University of Tennessee.
Tennessee initially targeted several other coaches including Jon Gruden, Mike Gundy, and Charlie Strong.
Tennessee AD Dave Hart stated, "I reached out to Jon Gruden (early on), but his agent made it clear he is happy and will not be coaching college football."
Hart met last night at 10 pm in Lexington (KY) with Jones. Hart said, "Twenty minutes in, I could see the genuine passion. Butch said, 'Dave, this is my dream job.'"
Jones wasn't concerned about being the third or fourth choice. He joked, "I think I was my wife's third choice and it's worked out for 20 years."
Dave Hart later joked, "I don't know that I was even the third choice for my wife. But I got to the destination."
Jones will start immediately with the Vols, opting not to coach the Cincinnati Bearcats in the Belk Bowl against Duke.
One of the first priorities will be forming a coaching staff. Jones said, "I can assure you that we will put together the best staff in America. Not just in the SEC, but all of America."
He credited his coaching foundation to coaches such as Rich Rodriguez, Brian Kelly, and Mike Debord.
Jones promised that he is not a micro-manager. He also promised that Tennessee practice will be open to all former players.
Stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker for updates on the Tennessee assistants.
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- NCAA grants waiver to Ole Miss assistant to monitor throwing mechanics of injured QB
- Finebaum: Johnny Manziel is trending towards becoming a punch line
- Does an experienced offensive line lead to success?
- Paul Johnson counting on Ted Roof
- Photo: UCLA says it is 'Linebacker U'
- Mike Zimmer on Hard Knocks: 'Sometimes I'm portrayed as a lunatic'
- Ellis Johnson explains why he's not concerned about the effect of Malzahn's tempo
- Mike Smith: We won't talk about being 10 yards short
- Larry Fedora: 'It's one of the greatest things in college sports'
- Alabama's locker room will have a waterfall