|Written by Josh Kendall|
Posted by: Josh Kendall on January 11, 2013
Former New York Jets special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff agreed with many outside observers Friday morning by calling the Jets handling of quarterback Tim Tebow "an absolute mess."
"I was very, very disappointed," Westhoff said on the Joe Rose Show on 560-AM in Miami. "He is very limited in some things. If you throw him right in the middle of a dropback passing offense, he will look very, very average at best. But if you incorporate him in different facets of your offense, he can be a factor. That's what I felt we were going to do, but we never did it. I was expecting to see him line up in a couple roles."
Westhoff left the Jets after the season. Tebow's main role with the Jets ended up being on Westhoff's units, which was a surprise to Westhoff most of all.
"Most of the stuff he did to me, he did outstanding, but it was supposed to only be a fraction and it ended up being his only role," he said. "That was very disappointing why that didn't come out. I don't think anybody has ever answered that question. I don't know. We didn't practice it. We were going to practice it in training camp. We were going to unveil it. Well, I'm still waiting for the unveiling."
Tebow lost his confidence during the season because of the handling of the situation, Westhoff said.
"It was a distraction and really a shame because that's a hard-working young man if you've ever seen one," Westhoff said.
Westhoff has turned down job offers since leaving the Jets and would like to take a TV job explaining special teams situations, he said.
"I don't see myself as this NFL know-it-all," he said. "We have plenty of those around."
Josh Kendall is a staff writer for CoachingSearch.com and has covered the SEC for more than 15 years for papers such as the Athens Banner-Herald, Macon Telegraph, and The State. He’s the father of two boys who he’s hoping don’t inherit his wide receiver frame and offensive guard feet. Follow @EyeOnCoaches on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Photo: Michigan State coaches send welcome letter to recent commit
- Steve Sarkisian: 'It has taken a long time to recruit'
- Troy Calhoun describes his tough recruiting pitch at Air Force
- College football study: Which teams play the most snaps per game?
- Photo: Nick Saban looks at his Alabama Sports Hall of Fame display
- Graphic: Wyoming sells MWC's record in BCS games
- James Franklin on schedule: Things are great, why change?
- Nick Saban on preparing for Manziel: "That's an ongoing process."
- Eastern Michigan offers skydiving with Ron English for fundraising
- Dabo Swinney: 'We're not playing the SEC, we're playing LSU'