Posted by: Pete Roussel on February 8, 2013
Duke head coach David Cutcliffe stated on National Signing Day that he was in no rush to fill the voids on his coaching staff created by the departure of Matt Lubick and Ron Middleton.
Cutcliffe went as far as saying that he wouldn't even have a problem with beginning spring practice on March 4 without the positions filled.
Lubick recently left Duke to join Mark Helfich's staff at Oregon, while Middleton opted to return to the NFL with the Jacksonville Jaguars as tight ends / assistant special teams coach.
Things must have changed quickly for Cutcliffe once he was informed that Scottie Montgomery would be interested in returning to Duke.
Today, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting the Montgomery will return to Duke, his alma mater.
Montgomery (34) was Cutcliffe's first wide receivers coach at Duke. He spent the last three seasons coaching the wide receivers for the Pittsburgh Steelers. At one time, Cutcliffe stated publicly that he had no doubt that Montgomery would become a head coach at some point in his career.
How far has Duke football come? An assistant coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers has resigned to coach football at Duke. Think about that.
Montgomery's return to Duke means that David Cutcliffe, since becoming the head coach at Duke, has lured coaches from Sean Payton's staff in New Orleans, Nick Saban's staff at Alabama, Eric Mangini's staff with the New York Jets' staff, and Mike Tomlin's staff in Pittsburgh.
Marion Hobby left the Saints; Ron Middleton left Alabama; Mike MacIntyre left the Jets; and now Scottie Montgomery is leaving the Steelers.
If you ask me, that says a lot about Cutcliffe.
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Herb Hand lets Butch Jones know about hateful tweets
- Andre Ware unloads on Mike Gundy
- Chart: Big Ten assistant salaries by position
- Kirk Ferentz describes his one moment of doubt
- Is an ACC Network on its way?
- Predicting ESPN College GameDay locations for 2013
- Mark Richt: 'We have to start the year in mid-season form'
- Photo: Wyoming football is looking to be 'Fast N Furious'
- EJ Manuel: Jimbo's offense is more complex than the Bills' offense
- Sean Payton, new workout circuit transforming attitude and determination of Saints