Butch Jones: I was my wife's 3rd choice; it's worked out well for 20 years
Posted by: Pete Roussel on December 7, 2012
Butch Jones was introduced on Friday afternoon as the head coach at the University of Tennessee.
Tennessee initially targeted several other coaches including Jon Gruden, Mike Gundy, and Charlie Strong.
Tennessee AD Dave Hart stated, "I reached out to Jon Gruden (early on), but his agent made it clear he is happy and will not be coaching college football."
Hart met last night at 10 pm in Lexington (KY) with Jones. Hart said, "Twenty minutes in, I could see the genuine passion. Butch said, 'Dave, this is my dream job.'"
Jones wasn't concerned about being the third or fourth choice. He joked, "I think I was my wife's third choice and it's worked out for 20 years."
Dave Hart later joked, "I don't know that I was even the third choice for my wife. But I got to the destination."
Jones will start immediately with the Vols, opting not to coach the Cincinnati Bearcats in the Belk Bowl against Duke.
One of the first priorities will be forming a coaching staff. Jones said, "I can assure you that we will put together the best staff in America. Not just in the SEC, but all of America."
He credited his coaching foundation to coaches such as Rich Rodriguez, Brian Kelly, and Mike Debord.
Jones promised that he is not a micro-manager. He also promised that Tennessee practice will be open to all former players.
Stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker for updates on the Tennessee assistants.
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 100 days out: Butch Jones delivers video message to the Vol nation
- Oklahoma schools partner for tornado recovery shirt
- Indiana posts teaser video for… something
- Ron Jaworski: I don't think Chip Kelly's offense will work in the NFL
- Photo: Northwestern's Gator Bowl championship ring
- Bill O'Brien explains motivation for Penn State football in 2013
- BYU begins building anticipation with an 'All Touchdowns' video
- Todd Monken: People thought a new staff meant the problem was solved
- Rich Rodriguez, Wildcats close to utilizing brand new facility
- Nick Saban: 'I give myself a vacation, but...'