Pete Carroll offers word of caution for college coaches looking at NFL
|Written by Josh Kendall|
Posted by: Josh Kendall on January 10, 2013
Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll offered a word of advice Thursday for coaches like Brian Kelly who are being courted by NFL teams but don't have any NFL experience.
"It's a difficult move if you have never been in the NFL," Carroll said on the Dan Patrick Show.
Carroll had a long career in the NFL before taking over at Southern Cal and then going back to the NFL with the Seahawks.
"For me it is a whole lot different than it would be for a guy that hasn't been here," Carroll said. "That lack of familiarity with kind of how it works makes it much more challenging. I think the guys that haven't been here should be slow to make that consideration. This can be a very rough business if you don't get off to a smooth start. If you have been around and been on some staffs and know some people it's a whole different deal. I would encourage those guys to do it."
Carroll understands the position coaches like Kelly and Alabama's Nick Saban are in this time of year.
"I went though this so many years at SC," Carroll said. "It's very, very hard on you when you are in the college recruiting season and the rumors are going around and 90 percent of it is not the truth."
Carroll believes college coaches should have the flexibility to look at other jobs despite being under contract, but he also was impressed by Penn State coach Bill O'Brien, who took his name out of consideration for NFL jobs because he had only been with the Nittany Lions for one season.
"That's a cool statement of character ... that I can appreciate, but I also understand you have to take care of your opportunities," Carroll said.
Josh Kendall is a staff writer for CoachingSearch.com and has covered the SEC for more than 15 years for papers such as the Athens Banner-Herald, Macon Telegraph, and The State. He’s the father of two boys who he’s hoping don’t inherit his wide receiver frame and offensive guard feet. Follow @EyeOnCoaches on twitter and send your feedback to email@example.com
- 100 days until college football
- South Carolina football nails season-ticket promo
- Clemson releases hype video 100 days from opener
- Ed Cunningham: I would have trashed that coach on social media
- Dan Mullen: I'm more worried about winning than the number of games
- 100 days out: Butch Jones delivers video message to the Vol nation
- Oklahoma schools partner for tornado recovery shirt
- Indiana posts teaser video for… something
- Ron Jaworski: I don't think Chip Kelly's offense will work in the NFL
- Photo: Northwestern's Gator Bowl championship ring