Derek Dooley's next stop still up in the air
|Written by Chris Vannini|
Posted by: Chris Vannini on January 28, 2013
There were all sorts of reports and rumors about Derek Dooley job when he was the head coach at Tennessee.
That appears to have followed him to his next endeavors.
On Saturday's ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the Dallas Cowboys were set to hire Dooley as their wide receivers coach. That phrasing would be key.
The Associated Press reported the hire on Saturday night, citing the Cowboys' website, but updated the story on Sunday, saying the position hadn't been filled.
Then official word came out, as Dooley told Jimmy Hyams of WNML in Knoxville that he hadn't taken the job and that neither party had made a decision.
With a sizeable buyout coming his way, many thought Dooley could take a year off and end up on television. He spent a day on ESPNU's "The Experts" earlier this month and seemed comfortable in front of the camera doing analysis.
But for now, Dooley's coaching career appears to still be in limbo.
Chris Vannini is the lead writer for CoachingSearch.com and has covered Michigan State sports for The State News, The Oakland Press and MLive.com. He writes a weekly column for the Detroit Free Press on behalf of SB Nation. Vannini lives in Big Ten country, so his foot speed is far from SEC caliber, but his pulse on coaches is hard to match. Be sure to follow @CoachingBuzz on twitter and send your feedback to email@example.com
- Video: Florida features 'The Stare' in new ticket promo
- Temple OC Marcus Satterfield leads "Too Hype"
- Study: Pac-12 tempo on the rise with new coaches
- Video: Gary Andersen grills burgers at Culver's
- Graphic: Alabama's 1st-round draft picks under Saban
- MWC commissioner: I don't think playoff will stay at 4 teams
- Late Spring All-Unemployed Coaches' Team
- Hugh Freeze: 'The only thing we have equal with Alabama is...'
- Is this a new Eastern Michigan helmet?
- Herb Hand lets Butch Jones know about hateful tweets