Photo: Ole Miss sends 54 handwritten letters to recruit
|Written by Chris Vannini|
Posted by: Chris Vannini on February 10, 2013
I'm guessing some Ole Miss staff members have some cramped hands.
2014 linebacker recruit Clifton Garrett of Illinois recently tweeted that he received 54 handwritten letters from Ole Miss coaches and included a photo from his Instagram account.
Compare that to the other mail he got in the photo below.
That's dedication. Some people want to know how Ole Miss signed such a highly-ranked recruiting class in 2013? This is one way.
It may seem over the top, but there are always ways to take advantage of petty NCAA rules. This one regarding printed material sent to recruits.
"Institutional note cards may not exceed 8 1/2 by 11 inches when opened in full. In addition, such cards may only contain the institution's name and logo or an athletics logo on the outside, must be blank on the inside (one side of the card when opened in full) when produced and may include only handwritten information (e.g., words, illustrations) on the inside when provided to the recipients."
So if you're going to send letters, you have to hand-write them. With the upcoming deregulations to recruiting, this is going to become even more commonplace.
Chris Vannini is the lead writer for CoachingSearch.com and has covered Michigan State sports for The State News, The Oakland Press and MLive.com. He writes a weekly column for the Detroit Free Press on behalf of SB Nation. Vannini lives in Big Ten country, so his foot speed is far from SEC caliber, but his pulse on coaches is hard to match. Be sure to follow @CoachingBuzz on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Video: Florida features 'The Stare' in new ticket promo
- Temple OC Marcus Satterfield leads "Too Hype"
- Study: Pac-12 tempo on the rise with new coaches
- Video: Gary Andersen grills burgers at Culver's
- Graphic: Alabama's 1st-round draft picks under Saban
- MWC commissioner: I don't think playoff will stay at 4 teams
- Late Spring All-Unemployed Coaches' Team
- Hugh Freeze: 'The only thing we have equal with Alabama is...'
- Is this a new Eastern Michigan helmet?
- Herb Hand lets Butch Jones know about hateful tweets