Scottie Montgomery warns recruiters in North Carolina
|Written by Chris Vannini|
Posted by: Chris Vannini on February 11, 2013
Scottie Montgomery has issued a challenge.
Duke introduced its new wide receivers / passing game coordinator / associate head coach Monday, and he knows North Carolina is fertile recruiting ground.
There were seven players in the Rivals 250 from North Carolina in this past recruiting class, and Montgomery wants to get those types of players to Duke.
"Watch out for me on the roads of NC because it's going to be real," Montgomery said, according to tweets from Harold Gutmann of the Durham Herald-Sun. "Some of these other college football coaches recruiting around here, if I were you, I'd look somewhere else."
A former Duke player, Montgomery was the Blue Devils' receivers coach from 2006-09 and had the same job with the Pittsburgh Steelers from 2010-12.
He has a lot more to sell to recruits this time around, with Duke coming off its first bowl appearance since 1994 and David Cutcliffe announcing he'd be sticking at the school.
So if you're going to be recruiting North Carolina, you're probably going to run into Montgomery.
Update: We just noticed that Virginia Tech assistant Shane Beamer has taken notice of Montgomery's words. Beamer just tweeted, "Alright then...noted. Wow." in responsed to our original tweet, "Scottie Montgomery has issued a warning to recruiters in North Carolina."
Chris Vannini is the lead writer for CoachingSearch.com and has covered Michigan State sports for The State News, The Oakland Press and MLive.com. He writes a weekly column for the Detroit Free Press on behalf of SB Nation. Vannini lives in Big Ten country, so his foot speed is far from SEC caliber, but his pulse on coaches is hard to match. Be sure to follow @CoachingBuzz on twitter and send your feedback to email@example.com
- Video: Florida features 'The Stare' in new ticket promo
- Temple OC Marcus Satterfield leads "Too Hype"
- Study: Pac-12 tempo on the rise with new coaches
- Video: Gary Andersen grills burgers at Culver's
- Graphic: Alabama's 1st-round draft picks under Saban
- MWC commissioner: I don't think playoff will stay at 4 teams
- Late Spring All-Unemployed Coaches' Team
- Hugh Freeze: 'The only thing we have equal with Alabama is...'
- Is this a new Eastern Michigan helmet?
- Herb Hand lets Butch Jones know about hateful tweets