Breaking: Nick Saban hires Kevin Steele
Posted by: Pete Roussel on February 12, 2013
CoachingSearch.com has learned that veteran coach Kevin Steele will join Nick Saban's staff at Alabama in an off-the-field capacity.
Steele did not coach in 2012.
He previously served as the defensive coordinator at Clemson under Dabo Swinney from 2009-2011.
Steele served under Nick Saban in 2007 and 2008 at Alabama. His previous coaching experience includes stints at Florida State, Baylor (head coach), Carolina Panthers, Nebraska, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, and New Mexico State.
It is believed that Steele will serve in a player personnel role.
Earlier this off-season, Saban hired former Colorado defensive backs coach Greg Burns to replace Jeremy Pruitt. The Crimson Tide have also lost a number of quality control assistants.
Kevin Garver joined the Arizona Cardinals staff, Russ Callaway joined the Murray State staff, and Kelvin Sigler accepted the defensive backs job at Northern Illinois.
Stay tuned to the Coaching Search Ticker.
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
- NCAA grants waiver to Ole Miss assistant to monitor throwing mechanics of injured QB
- Finebaum: Johnny Manziel is trending towards becoming a punch line
- Does an experienced offensive line lead to success?
- Paul Johnson counting on Ted Roof
- Photo: UCLA says it is 'Linebacker U'
- Mike Zimmer on Hard Knocks: 'Sometimes I'm portrayed as a lunatic'
- Ellis Johnson explains why he's not concerned about the effect of Malzahn's tempo
- Mike Smith: We won't talk about being 10 yards short
- Larry Fedora: 'It's one of the greatest things in college sports'
- Alabama's locker room will have a waterfall