South Alabama opens spring football with revamped staff
Posted by: Pete Roussel on February 26, 2013
Joes Jones is on the verge of beginning his fifth season as head coach at South Alabama.
Today, when Jones opens spring practice in Mobile, he'll do so with several new assistant coaches.
Kevin Sherrer (defensive coordinator / defensive backs), Freddie Roach (defensive ends / outside linebackers), and Travis Pearson (inside linebackers) each joined the staff this off-season. Brian Turner returns as the defensive tackles coach.
Sherrer previously served as the director of player development at Alabama for three years. Before joining Saban's staff, Sherrer was the defensive coordinator at Hoover HS (AL) for three years.
Freddie Roach joined the staff after spending last season at Murray State, while former Colquitt County HS defensive coordinator Travis Pearson joined the staff as inside linebackers coach.
The offensive staff remained intact this off-season with Robert Matthews (offensive coordinator / offensive line), Bryant Vincent (quarterbacks), Jerry Mack (wide receivers), Chase Smith (assistant offensive line), and John Turner (tight ends),. I'm told, at this point, that Joey Jones plans on having a graduate assistant develop the running backs.
South Alabama opens the 2013 season against Southern Utah. Other non-conference games include at Tulane, at Tennessee, Kent State, and at Navy.
Pete Roussel is a valuable resource for coaches, athletic directors, NFL front-office personnel, and college football enthusiasts. A former college football coach, Roussel shares insight on coaches 365 days a year and is recognized as the most trusted expert on coaching transactions. Follow @CoachingSearch on twitter and send your feedback to email@example.com
- Video: Florida features 'The Stare' in new ticket promo
- Temple OC Marcus Satterfield leads "Too Hype"
- Study: Pac-12 tempo on the rise with new coaches
- Video: Gary Andersen grills burgers at Culver's
- Graphic: Alabama's 1st-round draft picks under Saban
- MWC commissioner: I don't think playoff will stay at 4 teams
- Late Spring All-Unemployed Coaches' Team
- Hugh Freeze: 'The only thing we have equal with Alabama is...'
- Is this a new Eastern Michigan helmet?
- Herb Hand lets Butch Jones know about hateful tweets